Hello! Welcome to our Bassoons Filling Bellies campaign to support those facing food insecurity as a result of the devastating impact of COVID-19.
We are all current students or recent class of 2020 graduates of Ball State University's Bassoon Studio. Though it was crushing for our time together on campus to end so abruptly and for a few of us to miss a once-in-a-lifetime chance to graduate, we understand that these sacrifices pale in comparison to what others are facing in the wake of this pandemic.
So, in an effort to bring you a smile during these difficult times and to provide meals to families in need, we are sharing weekly bassoon ensemble performances from the end of May through July 31st, 2020 – as a sort of virtual busking!
We hope you enjoy. If you have anything to spare (no amount is too small!), we would be very grateful if you would consider supporting our noteworthy effort to Set the Table™ for a hunger-free America.
A little about us :
• Erin… is making the best of quarantine by honing her reed-making skills, brushing up on new bassoon music, and picking up embroidery as a new hobby! She’s grateful to continue playing music with her friends and for the new ways family and friends are staying connected.
• Harriet… has yet to have a dull moment in quarantine! She’s keeping busy taking an online class, working towards TEFL certification, playing bassoon, running, and cross-stitching. Spending time with her family has been an extra special bonus that she’s thankful for.
• Jacob… is making the best of quarantine by crawling through etude books and spending time with family. He loves long walks in the summer heat, watching all the popular shows on Netflix and taking pictures of his dog, Nova.
• Lindsey… feels blessed to be spending extra time at home with family this summer. She’s spending her quarantine by recording a lecture recital for the virtual 2020 International Double Reed Society conference and writing an article for The Double Reed! When she’s not job-searching, she’s enjoying the bountiful nature at her home.
• Paul… is staying busy through quarantine by participating in his church’s weekly virtual activities, working with a collegiate baseball internship team, and spending (socially distanced!) time with friends, family, and pets. He is thankful for others’ initiative in these trying times to stay connected through technology, for the chance to be with family, and for good health.
• Phillip… is excited to be an editor/producer for this campaign since he’s majoring in Music Media Production. He is making the best of the lockdown by practicing bassoon, bass, and piano, going for walks and bike rides with his family, and extensively researching music and recording gear. He is grateful for his health and to be home with his family.
• Tristan… has been passing the time in quarantine by playing bassoon, learning jazz piano, and rediscovering and playing some of his favorite old video games. He’s grateful to have extra time for playing Dungeons & Dragons with his friends over the internet and to be spending time with family.
We invite you to please copy the links from this growing list and paste them into your web browser for some musical fun! (Apologies we don't have the ability to hyperlink on this page.)
- May 28th - Polonaise Trio*, composed by J. Weissenborn: https://youtu.be/5RCSQGI7sCo
- May 28th - Chattanooga Choo Choo*, composed by Harry Warner and arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/FK4rRSYtJAM
- June 2nd - The Hunt*, composed by Toussaint Bordet, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/QsweGx5gWtA
- June 5th - Teddy Bears' Picnic*, composed by John Bratton: https://youtu.be/asiwrrc2P0g
- June 8th - Looney Tunes Melody*, composed by Carl Stalling, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/Xv1A1kj0tZ0
- June 11th - The Entertainer*, composed by Scott Joplin, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/HV5a7cYbTBU
- June 15th - American Patrol*, composed by Frank W. Meacham: https://youtu.be/bkSYfL3XC3c
- June 18th - Basse Danse from the Capriole Suite*, composed by Peter Warlock, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/Cbk5dLQkV2g
- June 22nd - Waltz Op. 36, No. 3*, composed by Amy Marcy Beach, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/welO6ihN_mA
- June 24th - Six Shifty Eyes**, composed by Lindsey Wiehl: https://youtu.be/q8dmgfLQuDA
- June 28th - Bugler's Holiday*, composed by Leroy Anderson: https://youtu.be/7BgKeHR6ClM
- July 2nd - You're a Grand Old Flag*, composed by George M. Cohan, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/oh7PaF6y93g
- July 4th - A Birthday Fantasy***, composed by Ioan Dobrinescu: https://youtu.be/YgKU_I7SEB4
- July 8th - Rondeau*, composed by Jean-Joseph Mouret, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/QArXY1IwqUE
- July 11th - Manhattan Beach March*, composed by John Philip Sousa: https://youtu.be/DDvZnWsFDjY
- July 15th - Red Rose Polka*, composed by Joseph Olivadoti, arranged by David Schorr: https://youtu.be/l3-IRzXylVg
- July 20th - Canon for two bassoons*, composed by Luis Tasso Santos: https://youtu.be/v59cntvY4qw
- July 23rd - Pigs****, composed by Alan Ridout: https://youtu.be/muKMf2J8xvc
- July 27th - The Rose-bud March*, composed by Scott Joplin, arr. mb haub: https://youtu.be/zomWYPr7e7s
- July 31st - La Petite Coquette (The Little Flirt)*, composed by J.S. Zamecnik, arr. A. Burford: https://youtu.be/QEAdpOFE89M
- To like us on Facebook at: fb.me/BassoonsFillingBellies
- To our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIpRuKAykkEHH7RsNkYKX8A/
- To email us at email@example.com if there's anything you'd like to share with us!